Home

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Santa Claus?

Santa Claus?
Here we are just minutes away from the Winter Solstice!  The days will be gradually getting longer as we head toward summer.  Somehow the darkness has not bothered me this year.  I guess because I spend so much of the waking hours being able to see the light.  That was not the case when I was working full time.

I started a new technique this past week.  Refining the technique is ongoing and because of the season I decided I would use Santa in this collage.  I love vintage Santa's and I was able to find many in my research.  I love how the black sets each Santa apart from the others.  In today's NY Times there was a reference to Santa Claus and the famous "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus."  Hence this piece evolved.

Whether you celebrate or not?  Whether Christmas, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, the Festival of the Lights, Kwanzaa, or some other winter holiday is being celebrated by you, I wish you peace and good health in the new year.

3 comments:

jacki long said...

Another winner John!
I love it and am especially taken with the tea bag tags.
I am always hooked on the unusual.
Happy times to you! ;o)

Claudia MB said...

Nice use of the circle paper that Marilyn gave us!

anonymous said...

I like the crinkly black b/g. Re the Yes, Virginia: I hadn't seen this before and had to look it up. This bit amused me ‘You may tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world…’ because I recall an incident talking with a colleague about an infant hearing test clinic where every child was sent for further investigation. It turned out that the special rattle (which should have had a few tiny grains inside) had lost the contents so in this case there was no noise!!!
All of us painters feel occasionally we 'see the light' even when it's dark - I took this as what you meant until I finished the sentence. It is indeed wonderful being retired and able to enjoy the few winter daylight hours as we please.
All the best to you and your other commenters for Christmas and a painterly New Year.