Home

Friday, November 16, 2012

Waiting for Dates

Waiting for Dates at the Subway Stop
For some reason upon looking at the completed version I find that balance is what this piece is all about.  Counterbalancing items must have been in my subconscious.  Right from the start of splitting the train station down the middle at the intersection of the doors started the balancing process.  For the palm tree there is a flower, for the kola there is a seltzer, for the portrait of the man there is the stamp.  The two women break the balance and add additional interest.  I wanted to name the piece Working Girls, but I did not want them to seem to be prostitutes.  In my narrative they are just waiting for their dates to take them into the city for possibly some dinner and salsa dancing.

3 comments:

tgarrett said...

A very tropical feel to this- lots of story possibilities with this one! The symmetrical balance in this piece is so different than your other work- it works well for this piece.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this spread. For me it feels like Cuba and these two are waiting for a train. I love the blues in this you do not see enough blue in AJ. Love it! I really do!

Cathy Farrell said...

I love this piece, John. It conveys a sense of fun and anticipation.