Home

Thursday, January 19, 2023

Cardboard Box Journal - 02

 

I subscribe to The NY Times Sunday edition weekly.  I think it is the third Sunday of the month that The NY Times Style Magazine is published.  Not only does this magazine have great articles frequently on contemporary artists but the images are great for transferring.  The ink is perfect in fact.  I cut or tear out an image and then put a piece of packing tape over the image.  I burnish it down really well and then soak the taped image in warm water for five or ten minutes.  The image transfers amazingly to the tape.  This woman in turquoise  was captured with this method.  Laying the image over a pattern frequently makes for a wonderful new image as the pattern underneath may show through.

Ok, yesterday morning I spent time soaking a torn apart Amazon mailing box.  It is corrugated and I originally thought using corrugated would not work for the substrate of this type of journal.  Guess what?  It does and I made yet another journal to work in.  The three layers soak off of each other easily….just peel away after about ten minutes in warm water.  Even the corrugated part can be used.  I ironed the corrugated portion of the box after it had some time to dry partially and it flatten easily.    Here are some photos of the process.


Drying wet cardboard separated into the three layers, top, bottom and middle corrugated.

Dry papers waiting to be turned into a journal.

Wet corrugated paper waiting for ironing.








4 comments:

tgarrett said...

you are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Is there a way to remove the shine from a packing tape transfer? That is, make it look matte instead of glossy? And how to adhere another layer of paper over the tape transfer?

Anonymous said...

Your continuing exploration of things artistic amazes me! xcr

julia said...

I'm just imagining calling you up and saying: what are you up to, john? And you replying: oh just ironing my cardboard.