Home

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Tunnel Book with Retchoso Binding





The structure for the tunnel book is done and now I have to figure out what will go inside.  Since the cover is very Asian I most likely will stick to a theme that goes with the it.  The binding was somewhat challenging because I was using black bookbinding thread on black paper.  Retchoso binding only works with heavier stock paper or multi-page signatures.  I learned that by using some paper that tore during the binding process.  I fixed it with some PVA.  Reinforcing lighter weight paper on the fold is another way of solving the issue of tearing.

3 comments:

jacki long said...

I so admire your bookbinding skills, John.
A delight to see each creation, starting my day!

julia said...

Gorgeous!.....iit will be so interesting to see how this one evolves..

Michele R. Unger said...

What a beautiful cover! I love that paper. It made me think of Kyoto and the geisha in traditional kimono walking along the canals, gazing at a the cherry blossoms. I was lucky enough to be in Kyoto once during the cherry blossom time. It was so beautiful. I'm sure you got to see the blossoms when you lived there. Can't wait to see what you do with this new tunnel book!