Home

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Red Series 1 and 2 Box and Binding

When I completed the Red Series No. 1 I did not have any notion that I would start and complete Red Series No. 2.  What I did know was that I needed to somehow bind series No 1 so that I could keep all the series together.  That started a search for just how that would work.  I found a binding which is called Laura Ashley.  Yes, the same Laura Ashley that sells linens.  I started the process of making the signatures that would hold the ten back-to-back collages.  But that meant that there were two more pockets available in the signature.....see last photo below.  That meant I could do twenty more collages, ten back-to-back.

In my head the number 20 stuck.  Fast forward the Collage Society retreat at the end of February.  I began and finished twenty times two collages there.  When I returned home I started thinking, John, you created way too many collages.  You only needed ten back-to-back or twenty collages.  I use to be really good at math and problem solving.  What happened?

So I now have 40 Red Series Collages.  Over the next month plus I will share those.  Below you will see the binding that resulted and the box that I made to store the signatures in.  This became quite a long project but I am very pleased with the outcomes.  Enjoy!  If you are tired of the red series after No. 1 skip the next month plus. :-)  Just so you know, the extra collages will be mail art.  These collages fit nicely in the pocket postcard that I designed and showed on this blog previously. :-)






---------------------
Emily Estefan Reigns - catchy song....great video



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogKOIGN01AE



3 comments:

Cate Rose said...

That is unspeakably cool!

Robert said...

Wow, John! What fun. Excited to see what you created at the NWCS retreat!

tgarrett said...

very nice John