Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Algerian Woman

Algerian Woman
Just the position of the arm makes this Algerian woman's pose provocative.  I found her in an old book from the sale that I attended this past weekend.  The page from the book had that ancient musty smell.  I was afraid that I would not be able to use her because of it.  However matte medium and tar gel and rubbing alcohol seems to have helped with this problem.  I used a palette knife to adhere tar gel over the lower portion of this piece. I am liking the tar gel technique more and more.  Isn't it fun to provide a venue for old photographs, to create a new "environment" for them.  It is like giving new life to something old and forgotten.

The book is so musty I have banished it from the living portion of our house.  It now is "locked" up in the garage in a baggie with a dryer freshener.  Hopefully I will be able to use more of the photos I found, but it all depends on the success of the smell reduction.

5 comments:

Claudia MB said...

She's very mysterious. Did you add color or was the photo already in color?

Jacki Long said...

I am so glad you endured, as she is truly marvelous in every way.
Her expression, her headpiece, the fabulous robe, the dangling jug!
Perfect again! Thank you John!

Catherine R said...

Looks like she should be in a black and white Rudolph Valentino movie.

Brian Kasstle said...

She is wonderful!

I have used to dryer sheets technique for an art journal that went to a smoker's home. I put dryer sheets between the pages. It still smells faintly of smoke after a few years.

tgarrett said...

Love this John- I have that box of old magazines and I have them in a box covered with a platic sheet- then ones i want to use I will scan and then I don't have the smell in the house proper. Wonderful piece. You are the background master