Home

Saturday, March 28, 2020

Situational Haiku Series - 01

Situational Haiku Series 01


I made an accordion style book that has eleven pages in it.  As I usually work I wanted to add something to each page but I did not know exactly where I was going.  In front of my work station was the smallest gelli plate.  The AHA moment was that I would add color to each page through the mono-printing process using the gelli plate.  Instead of laying the paper on top of what I was printing I flipped the gelli plate over and printed down on the pages of the accordion book.  You will notice a slight hint of a second color other than the blue.  It is cadmium red and it was left on my gelli plate from a previous use.  So far so good.

I have been culling some of my papers, you know the ones that you just have to keep and never use.  Out they went but in one box I found some great images from a vintage book.  My next thought was to use either one element or maybe even two or three elements for the collages.  I just love how this woman looks walking toward something.  Now you might think that is the end of the story.  No!

I have been writing a bit of Haiku lately and thought I could write a Haiku about this woman.  I wanted to give a bit of narrative via the poem to the collage.  Then I got to thinking I should put the Haiku right on the finished collage.  How to do that?  Another AHA moment.  I wanted to use vintage type.  I found a vintage typewriter font online.  So here goes..... Oh, yeah!  I photographed each of the eleven collages without the Haiku first because perhaps you might want to write your own Haiku.  More on my Haiku experience tomorrow.  Mine is below....





4 comments:

jacki long said...

I love these, John.
And I love haiku, so win-win!
Also my favorite blue-grey.

Robert said...

What fun John! Love your detailed explanation of the process!

Elsa of Lake Forest Park said...

Ditto what Robert said. What I don’t understand is how you got the typewriter font onto the page?
It is such a perfect mini narrative.
I have sent halvzie collages out to five people to finish with haiku or writing of any kind.
We will talk.
I just love this

amy of studio four corners said...

brilliant!