Home

Monday, March 21, 2016

Mark Making Tools

John's Mark Making Tools

Class Mark Making Tools
This past weekend I was thrilled to be in Crystal Neubauer's Mark Making workshop.  What fun we had!  On the first full day we went beach combing for tools that we could use to create papers using India Ink and other inks. Upon returning to the workroom we created tools out of what we found. The larger tool in the first photo was made from a stick, some seaweed that is bulbous, and some marine rope that I found.  I decorated the tool with material, leather, safety pins, and string.

The second tool I made was a paint brush using horse hair (we were on a horse ranch), bamboo, fabric, a bit of a book spine, and heavy thread.  Over the next few days I will share the collages that we created.  If you have not seen Crystal's new book or have not taken a workshop from her, I highly recommend both.

5 comments:

jacki long said...

Fabulous! I know you can make anything and it will be perfect!
I bet they feel great to the touch.

Anonymous said...

They are artworks in themselves!

amy of studio four corners said...

I'm so jealous that you went to this? how did you find out about it - I only knew of it once I saw Crystal posting on IG - I would have loved to have been there...I'm glad you will be sharing here - and I agree - your mark making tool are works of art!

Brian Kasstle said...

I love the top brushes. I can't wait to see your collages.

Seth said...

Very, very cool!