Home

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Road to Orcas

Road to Orcas
Jill K. Berry tasked anyone who desired to create a map for 2014.  My map is about the journey in a red truck to Orcas Island, Washington in the San Juan Islands.  Over the years I have traveled to the island to visit my mother who still lives there at age 95.  The journey takes between three to five hours depending on ferry traffic.  I thought it would be fun to do a map about why it takes so long to make the trip but from a different perspective.  There are many fun places to stop along the way which might delay one's progress.

For instance, there is a restaurant in Everett that has terrific breakfasts.  The Totem has been a fixture since the 1950's or you might like to stop at the Village Restaurant in Marysville for a slice of pie.  This place has attracted travelers for many years as well and you won't be disappointed.  

Since I am always on the lookout for barns to photograph, I might take the road to Silvana or Conway or other turns in the Skagit Valley.  The largest pancakes I have ever seen are at the Country Cafe in Silvana. Great hamburgers can be found at the Conway Tavern or a stroll along the water might be in order in La Connor which is full of art galleries and eateries.   In April, one cannot pass through the area without a stop in the daffodil or tulip fields of the Skagit Valley.  A very special nursery, Christiansen's is a must for gardeners.  

In the winter, the snow geese can be found on Fir Island.  They must have plenty of grubs and worms in this fertile soil.  Whale watching might happen anywhere from Anacortes to Orcas and the scenic views of Mount Baker make many spots for a perfect picnic.  So you now see why it might just take much longer than five hours to reach beautiful Orcas Island which needs it own art journal map!



10 comments:

Cate Rose said...

Sounds so delightful -- and I love the map, too. Wish I were into driving long distances...you might find me on your doorstep! And speaking of barns, watch for mail from me this week. Hugs.

anonymous said...

Oh my! I want to set off immediately - although you don't cite any very healthy-sounding eateries!!! Naughty but nice the whole way. The natural beauty and wildlife must be a real treat. A journey full of temptations.

Christine Martell said...

I want to go too. Love the richness of the colors and the intimacy of the framing.

tgarrett said...

I love how you had the red truck in the parts!

Renee said...

I have always wanted to visit this area and now I see why. It sounds not only fun but delicious as well. What a wonderful map!

Anonymous said...

Love the magenta truck. I'll be seeing it in my dreams. Lovely map and trip story

irene said...

Well now, isn't that a charming journey. I love the map, love the story. xo

Amy said...

Beautiful! That is a journey I would like to take.

Mary C. Nasser said...

Fun, narrative map! Love the red throughout unifying it, too!

Terry O. said...

I thought I had posted a comment here but don't see it. Maybe it was on the FB page. But I'll say it again: I love your map! I am partial to old trucks, and yours is a beauty. :-) Your map and story are wonderful too! I love everything about it.