Home

Friday, November 27, 2015

Things in Common

Things in Common

Lots of things going on here that I had never tried before.  First, it is going to be framed 20 x 24.  So it is one of the largest pieces I have done.  Second, the finish and final layer is faux encaustic.  I am in love with the technique.  I have wanted to try it and just was not sure if I would like it or not.  Yes, siree! It does have a waxy feel to it.  Not sure if one can tell from looking at it face on, but the feel is very fine.

I found some great napkins at IKEA which I used in this piece.  I love the rub off letters although they were a bear to adhere all the way around the red circle.  Thanks Seth Apter for turning me on to them.  I also have an image transfer.  I love how the background comes through the image.  It is difficult to tell which came first, the image or the background.

I started this piece when all the terrorist activity was going on in Paris.  Hence the French numbers and quite by accident, but maybe in my subconscious, I sort of have the red, white, and blue of the French flag.  So I am dedicating this to the people of France.  I love Paris and I hate to see and hear about the pain that has gone on there and in other parts of the world.  No soapbox here, just thinking of the victims and their families.  It has been a difficult year for the French and especially the Parisians.

2 comments:

tgarrett said...

John- this pieces is wonderful. I love the depth and layers and then in reading your into here it is also layered with meaning. I am very anxious to try the faux encaustic technique.

Seth said...

The layering here is really great. They seem to go on forever.